Did You Remember to Budget for Closing Costs?Buying a home is one of the largest financial transactions most people make in a lifetime. In addition to saving for the down payment, there are many
Downsizing? What to Do with Your Stuff
Dated: October 3 2020
Whether you call it downsizing or rightsizing, the bottom line is you’re moving into a smaller space and have no idea what to do with all the stuff you’ve collected over the years. Many people consider moving from a larger home to a smaller home at some point in their lives. Often this move is made after the childrearing years, when homeowners no longer need the extra bedrooms or living space and want less home to worry about (or to clean!). The problem is that they have accumulated items to fill the space that they aren’t ready to part with, yet all their stuff won’t fit in a smaller home.
If you’re considering this type of downsizing, begin by sorting your possessions into three piles: keep, donate, trash. After trashing, donating, and storing what you can, here are some clever ways to store your stuff in the new, smaller space.
• Dual-Purpose Furniture – Find furniture that offers hidden storage, such as a coffee table or ottoman with storage compartments for extra pillows, throw blankets, games, or books.
• Baskets and Cubes – There are a lot of great options for cube storage units that incorporate baskets to store extra items for easy access when needed.
• Digitize – This is the perfect time to put your important papers and pictures into a digital format. From treasured pictures to tax forms, there are companies who specialize in transferring your items for later access.
• Repurpose – Take a careful look at your furniture…and Pinterest. You’ll find great ways to use some of your favorite pieces in different and useful ways.
• Closets – Consider a closet consultation to make sure you maximize your closet space, not only in the bedrooms but also in your kitchen pantry and hall coat closet.
Downsizing doesn’t mean you have to throw out everything you love. Take a hard look at what matters and then use some of these tricks to store the items you treasure without adding clutter to your new home.
My mission is to provide each and every customer with exemplary service. My goal is to work as hard as possible to help buyers find the home of their dreams and help sellers achieve their ultimate obj....
Latest Blog Posts
Back in March, as the nation’s economy was shut down because of the coronavirus, many were predicting the real estate market would face a major collapse. Some forecasts called for a 15-20%